Dickson Encourages People to Sign Up as Bone Marrow Donors to Save Lives

East Antrim Alliance MLA, Stewart Dickson, has encouraged people to sign up as bone marrow donors to help save lives. Mr Dickson commented: “Unfortunately, this year saw 19,000 fewer people sign up as bone marrow donors. This means fewer potential donors that could match with people with blood cancers that desperately need bone marrow or stem cell transplants. “About 30% of people are able to get a transplant from a family member, but the remaining 70% must rely on a donation from a stranger. That is why signing up to the register can be so important to help save someone’s life. “Anyone aged 16-30 that meets the health criteria can sign up, but men aged 16-30 in particular are being encourag

Dickson Welcomes Plans to Expand Free Flu Jab This Winter

East Antrim Alliance MLA, Stewart Dickson, has welcomed news from the Department of Health that the flu vaccination programme is to be expanded to protect vulnerable people, and help relieve pressure on the health system this winter, due to the current Covid-19 Pandemic. Mr Dickson commented: “Given that capacity in our health system may be vital to secure this winter, and in the absence of an approved Covid-19 vaccine, I welcome the decision to offer a free flu jab to more people this year, starting in September. “As we know, Covid-19 can have symptoms similar to the flu which could cause difficulties in tracking the virus. It is also important to avoid the potential danger of infection wit

Dickson Welcomes Minister’s Answer on Dargan Viaduct

East Antrim Alliance MLA, Stewart Dickson, has welcomed an Assembly Question answer from the Infrastructure Minister on the York Street Interchange project, where she outlines how the Dargan Viaduct will be part of ‘future-proofing’ the project. Mr Dickson said: “I have been pressing the Minister, not only on the upgrading of road infrastructure at the York Street Interchange, but also for the inclusion in plans of foundation strengthening below the single track Dargan Rail Viaduct. So I welcome the Minister’s answer outlining that this is to be part of the project, as it is vital to the future of the rail link to East Antrim. “Unfortunately for many users of the Larne Line and other service

Dickson Welcomes Start of Recruitment for Ulster University School of Medicine

East Antrim Alliance MLA, Stewart Dickson, has welcomed the announcement by Ulster University, that it has started recruiting future doctors for entry in September 2021 to the University’s new School of Medicine. Mr Dickson commented: “The new School of Medicine at Magee has been planned for a long time, but I am happy we are now at the point of recruiting its first year of intake. The School will help train the medical staff we all need and depend on, through an intensive and innovative education for students that have already obtained an undergraduate degree. “I am also hopeful for the great economic and social benefits that this institution will bring to Derry-Londonderry and the North We

Featured Posts
Related Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Me
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square